The story of the Bristol K type at Stroud takes us back to the days before Bristol Tramways took over in the town in 1950.It was the Western National Omnibus Company which, as the main provider of passenger services, began operating the Bristol K chassis, from the 1930s. Such vehicles were capable of a maximum seating capacity of 56. During the early years of the war and immediately afterwards, Western National at Stroud received some new vehicles, the last of which was withdrawn in 1966, 16 years after the Bristol operating company took over from Western National.
Bristol Tramways (later becoming Bristol Omnibus) continued using Ks at Stroud and by 1966, 30 Bristol registered vehicles had been used in the town. It was often The Track (service 421, Chalford – Stroud – Stonehouse – Standish Lodge) which tended to see the Ks in service, with other trunk routes such as the 46 and 56 welcoming newer stock. The Ks outlived newer vehicles on The Track, even towards the end of their time.